The Floor Plan Problem
Aim: How can we add polynomials and multiply binomials?
- To multiply monomials and binomials using a variety of methods, including (but not limited to) algebra tiles and the distributive property.
- To add and subtract polynomials, simplifying using a variety of methods, including (but not limited to) algebra tiles and algebraically combining like terms.
- To explain the relationship between multiplying and area,
- To explain the relationship between summing and perimeter.
- Term: An expression in a polynomial that is a number, variable, or product of numbers and variables with nonnegative integral exponents
- Polynomial: An algebraic expression that is the sum of terms that are numbers, variables, or products of numbers and variables with exponents that are nonnegative integers
- Monomial: A polynomial with one term
- Binomial: A polynomial with two terms
- Trinomial: A polynomial with three terms
- Like terms: Terms that have the same variable(s) raised to the same power